Chicago Sports Fan Message Board

All Information is alleged and 100% Unreliable
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:11 pm
Posts: 33762
Rube is a 5 tool awful poster.

_________________
"He is a loathsome, offensive brute
--yet I can't look away."


Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Sox fan is just a negative douchebag


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 64520
Cheers was a great show. Diane was a necessary villain

I watched the first two breaking bad eps last night this might not be the best show for a re watch. A lot of it is contingent upon the surprising factor of Walt turning into what he turns into. Knowing what I already know it's just not the same watching goofy nervous Walt in the first season.


Still good. But, IMO, Sopranos and The Wire are better the second time.

_________________
And I'm insensitive, and I lack empathy
He looked at me and said, "Your potential is bittersweet"
I looked at him and said, "Every nickel is mines to keep"
He looked at me and said, "Know the truth, it'll set you free"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:15 pm
Posts: 30108
Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I disagree. I did a rewatch and thought it was great.

Knowing how things turn out, I think you can appreciate the performances even more.

I'd say The Wire is a better rewatch but slightly. I thought The Sopranos seemed dated.

_________________
“A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.”

― Winston S. Churchill


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 64520
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I disagree. I did a rewatch and thought it was great.

Knowing how things turn out, I think you can appreciate the performances even more.

I'd say The Wire is a better rewatch but slightly. I thought The Sopranos seemed dated.

The sprawling casts of those shows make rewatches good. I didn't kknowthe history of Stringer Bell or Jackie Aprile the first time around. I'd guess Game of Thrones is similar.

Well see. Just had the Krazy 8 basement scene. Great acting there. Both guys.

_________________
And I'm insensitive, and I lack empathy
He looked at me and said, "Your potential is bittersweet"
I looked at him and said, "Every nickel is mines to keep"
He looked at me and said, "Know the truth, it'll set you free"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:36 pm
Posts: 7899
pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
rogers park bryan wrote:
Cheers was a great show. Diane was a necessary villain

I watched the first two breaking bad eps last night this might not be the best show for a re watch. A lot of it is contingent upon the surprising factor of Walt turning into what he turns into. Knowing what I already know it's just not the same watching goofy nervous Walt in the first season.


Still good. But, IMO, Sopranos and The Wire are better the second time.


DUMBEST. POST. EVER.


Just rewatched the whole series, I think I actually liked it better the second time cause I could appreciate the journey for each character that much more and all the clues that were given along the way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 64520
shakes wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Cheers was a great show. Diane was a necessary villain

I watched the first two breaking bad eps last night this might not be the best show for a re watch. A lot of it is contingent upon the surprising factor of Walt turning into what he turns into. Knowing what I already know it's just not the same watching goofy nervous Walt in the first season.


Still good. But, IMO, Sopranos and The Wire are better the second time.


DUMBEST. POST. EVER.


Just rewatched the whole series, I think I actually liked it better the second time cause I could appreciate the journey for each character that much more and all the clues that were given along the way.

Learn to read. Im a few episodes in and said it "might" not be better on rewatch

This may affect my support for your canpaign to replace Scalia

_________________
And I'm insensitive, and I lack empathy
He looked at me and said, "Your potential is bittersweet"
I looked at him and said, "Every nickel is mines to keep"
He looked at me and said, "Know the truth, it'll set you free"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 64520
The symbolism is even more pronounced than I thought on first viewing. Very meticulous in crafting the show. Good stuff.

_________________
And I'm insensitive, and I lack empathy
He looked at me and said, "Your potential is bittersweet"
I looked at him and said, "Every nickel is mines to keep"
He looked at me and said, "Know the truth, it'll set you free"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:05 am 
Offline
1000 CLUB

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:55 pm
Posts: 13002
pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
rogers park bryan wrote:
The symbolism is even more pronounced than I thought on first viewing. Very meticulous in crafting the show. Good stuff.


What symbolism are you talking about?

_________________
I love the poorly educated!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 64520
Tall Midget wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
The symbolism is even more pronounced than I thought on first viewing. Very meticulous in crafting the show. Good stuff.


What symbolism are you talking about?

The first time I watched I was trying to catch up so I went quick and missed some obvious stuff.

I didnt really catch the painting of the guy rowing away from his family the first time around.

And then (not sure this is symbolism) the comparison of Jane putting a towel next to Jesse so he wont roll over and puke on heroin the same way Walt does it for the baby.

Also the color scheme. I knew it was important the first time around but knowing how the series goes it's more obvious

_________________
And I'm insensitive, and I lack empathy
He looked at me and said, "Your potential is bittersweet"
I looked at him and said, "Every nickel is mines to keep"
He looked at me and said, "Know the truth, it'll set you free"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:40 pm
Posts: 2746
pizza_Place: Pat's...South Loop
Just finished the series...great show! So many things to go back and re-watch. A few tidbits I've picked up from a couple of the podcasts and elsewhere:

1. Was looking up the actor who played Gus (Giancarlo Esposito) and saw that he happened to be in this scene in Trading Places (he's the guy on the far left): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUvKIubY6OY

2. Gilligan had to get special permission from the Director's Guild to push the opening credits to Act 2 of Ozymandias because of the intensity (some of the credits would have been still running as Hank was getting killed).

3. Talk about overkill: in the Ozymandias scene where Walt drops off Holly at the Firehouse, the fire fighters are playing chess. Apparently the writers set up the chess board in such a way where the king could not avoid being checkmated in more than four or five moves.

_________________
To IkeSouth, bigfan wrote:
Are you stoned or pissed off, or both, when you create these postings?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:18 pm
Posts: 13164
Location: The Crownville Lab
pizza_Place: Langel's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Just finished the series...great show! So many things to go back and re-watch. A few tidbits I've picked up from a couple of the podcasts and elsewhere:

1. Was looking up the actor who played Gus (Giancarlo Esposito) and saw that he happened to be in this scene in Trading Places (he's the guy on the far left): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUvKIubY6OY

2. Gilligan had to get special permission from the Director's Guild to push the opening credits to Act 2 of Ozymandias because of the intensity (some of the credits would have been still running as Hank was getting killed).

3. Talk about overkill: in the Ozymandias scene where Walt drops off Holly at the Firehouse, the fire fighters are playing chess. Apparently the writers set up the chess board in such a way where the king could not avoid being checkmated in more than four or five moves.

Great catch there on Esposito on Trading Places....did not know that.


Have you seen any Better Call Saul yet?

_________________
-"God is great. Beer is good. And People are crazy!"
bigfan wrote:
I am in the urination, puking, drunk, yelling zone.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:40 pm
Posts: 2746
pizza_Place: Pat's...South Loop
Eaglo Jeff wrote:

Have you seen any Better Call Saul yet?


Going to start soon. I like Saul but have a hard time imagining a series based on his character (a little goes a long way). But everyone I've talked to says it's good.

_________________
To IkeSouth, bigfan wrote:
Are you stoned or pissed off, or both, when you create these postings?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:18 pm
Posts: 13164
Location: The Crownville Lab
pizza_Place: Langel's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:

Have you seen any Better Call Saul yet?


Going to start soon. I like Saul but have a hard time imagining a series based on his character (a little goes a long way). But everyone I've talked to says it's good.

Yep, it's good, but he has a little cameo help from BB. I don't think it would stand alone as good without that part of the story weaved in. It's tough to make a good prequel series.

_________________
-"God is great. Beer is good. And People are crazy!"
bigfan wrote:
I am in the urination, puking, drunk, yelling zone.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:35 pm
Posts: 6243
Location: Crown Point, Indiana (obviously)
What irritates me about Breaking Bad discussions is that everyone is always going on about what an unbearable bitch Skyler is. Fucking hell, put yourself in her shoes. You wouldn't be very likable in those circumstances, and neither would pretty much anyone else. I don't see how else they could have really written the character.

_________________
You can't see me because of internet.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:36 pm
Posts: 7899
pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
MattInTheCrown wrote:
What irritates me about Breaking Bad discussions is that everyone is always going on about what an unbearable bitch Skyler is. Fucking hell, put yourself in her shoes. You wouldn't be very likable in those circumstances, and neither would pretty much anyone else. I don't see how else they could have really written the character.


I thought she was fantastic on the show. Played her part perfectly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:13 pm
Posts: 12041
pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
MattInTheCrown wrote:
What irritates me about Breaking Bad discussions is that everyone is always going on about what an unbearable bitch Skyler is. Fucking hell, put yourself in her shoes. You wouldn't be very likable in those circumstances, and neither would pretty much anyone else. I don't see how else they could have really written the character.


Exactly. She was needed. Walt's life would have been way too easy without her.

_________________
-- source


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 10571
pizza_Place: nick n vito's
MattInTheCrown wrote:
What irritates me about Breaking Bad discussions is that everyone is always going on about what an unbearable bitch Skyler is. Fucking hell, put yourself in her shoes. You wouldn't be very likable in those circumstances, and neither would pretty much anyone else. I don't see how else they could have really written the character.




She did a great job of being an unlikable cunt, she was fucking her boss while her husband is breaking his ass to beat cancer and leave that ungrateful bitch money.

_________________
The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
Laurence Holmes is a fucking weirdo, a nerd in denial, and a wannabe. Not a very good radio host either.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:42 pm
Posts: 3680
Location: Land of Lincoln
pizza_Place: Casey's General Store, Dixon, IL
Jaw Breaker wrote:
1. Was looking up the actor who played Gus (Giancarlo Esposito) and saw that he happened to be in this scene in Trading Places (he's the guy on the far left): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUvKIubY6OY


funny, i had a similar "holy shit" moment when i realized Esposito portrayed "Buggin' Out" in "Do the Right Thing". i have watched that movie countless times and even now knowing it to be a fact i have a hard time wrapping my head around Gus and Buggin' Out to be the same guy.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group