Chicago Sports Fan Message Board

All Information is alleged and 100% Unreliable
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:36 pm
Posts: 7899
pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
W_Z wrote:
you know, FF, if you want to discredit shakes' thoughts on TV shows, he thinks "big bang theory" is the best thing on the air.



Best thing on air? no.

Best 30 minute network sitcom? Definitely. In fact, its the only one I'll watch besides Parks and Rec and even that's starting to get tedious. Glad that one is ending this season.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:15 pm
Posts: 30108
Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Luther is very solid crime drama.

Broadchurch is better than Gracepoint. It's a slow burn but the payoff is top notch from a performance standpoint. IMO.

_________________
“A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.”

― Winston S. Churchill


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:56 pm
Posts: 27878
Location: ...
i'm still plodding through "gracepoint" but it's very dull...david tennant needs his british accent, whether it's his native scottish or the english one. it seems like he's putting all his effort into making sure he sounds american. the story is still intriguing enough though.

_________________
http://www.thereviewbin.com
gregorslist.org


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:16 pm
Posts: 1203
pizza_Place: My moms grave
Zizou wrote:
Deadwood was okay but never felt right to me. I just didn't buy the language, whether it was the cursing or the flowing word use that comprised certain characters' mini-sermons.

I like season 2 of The Wire. I know that whole union mentality and culture from growing up around it. Ziggy is one of the best ever Wire characters. Not that I like him, just that he is so real. There's so many absolute zeros like him out there in this world. They are the rank and file of existence. The shit talkers, tragic idiots, fake tough guys, and consummate fuckups.



Hmmm you didn't buy the language and that was supposed to be one of the more authentic things in the show. It was likely the prose that was off putting


Season 2 of the wire was awesome. In real time I think it was a tough adjustment because at that moment we weren't used to such huge shifts in a series, now a days it would be nothing but back then it was kind of odd. Second view wow that season was amazing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:35 pm
Posts: 2187
Location: Lindenhurst
pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
I had never watched Breaking Bad but heard a lot of hype regarding the end. At the time of the finale, I had a roommate and had come home with him in the middle of the finale. I sat and watched maybe the last 15 min of the finale. None of it made much sense to me, but he was certainly captivated with it and had remarked it was pretty damn awesome.

Some time later after numerous recommendations from other friends, I started streaming the series from the beginning on NetFlix. I was interested right away and by the time Tuco arrived, it was the perfect crack to get me through the nasty January 2014 winter. Once I finished the series I have to say this is probably the best series (front to back) as well as finale I've ever seen.

This winter, I started the series over, as my GF has not watched it. We're almost through season 2 and damnit, this show is still THE BEST. It's not losing much the second time around.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:31 am 
Offline
1000 CLUB

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:55 pm
Posts: 13002
pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
wdelaney72 wrote:
I had never watched Breaking Bad but heard a lot of hype regarding the end. At the time of the finale, I had a roommate and had come home with him in the middle of the finale. I sat and watched maybe the last 15 min of the finale. None of it made much sense to me, but he was certainly captivated with it and had remarked it was pretty damn awesome.

Some time later after numerous recommendations from other friends, I started streaming the series from the beginning on NetFlix. I was interested right away and by the time Tuco arrived, it was the perfect crack to get me through the nasty January 2014 winter. Once I finished the series I have to say this is probably the best series (front to back) as well as finale I've ever seen.

This winter, I started the series over, as my GF has not watched it. We're almost through season 2 and damnit, this show is still THE BEST. It's not losing much the second time around.


Have you seen The Wire? I am giving it a second go right now, and I have to say that Breaking Bad, while an awesome show, doesn't come close in my opinion.

_________________
I love the poorly educated!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:35 pm
Posts: 2187
Location: Lindenhurst
pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
No...I have not watched The Wire. Maybe we'll check that one next.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:35 pm
Posts: 2187
Location: Lindenhurst
pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Oh wait a minute....I do recall watching an episode of an HBO series based in Baltimore. I do remember liking it...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:10 pm
Posts: 5797
Had never seen this series. I'm half way through season 3. Seems like each season the show gets better and better.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:15 pm
Posts: 30108
Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
schmitty1121 wrote:
Had never seen this series. I'm half way through season 3. Seems like each season the show gets better and better.


The best is yet to come.

_________________
“A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.”

― Winston S. Churchill


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:10 pm
Posts: 9529
Location: Schaumpton
pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
schmitty1121 wrote:
Had never seen this series. I'm half way through season 3. Seems like each season the show gets better and better.


The best is yet to come.


So jealous. Can never go back to the first time watching these all time great shows. Enjoy the ride Schmitty.

_________________
Team Cutler.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:15 pm
Posts: 30108
Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Northside_Dan wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
schmitty1121 wrote:
Had never seen this series. I'm half way through season 3. Seems like each season the show gets better and better.


The best is yet to come.


So jealous. Can never go back to the first time watching these all time great shows. Enjoy the ride Schmitty.



I just did a complete rewatch a couple months ago and it was still great. I may just do it again. This is probably my favorite show ever.

I did the same thing with The Wire when it came out in HD. Also, as Milt Rosenberg would say, eminently rewatchable. It truly is the hallmark of a great series how you can just go back and watch it again and still be riveted despite knowing what ultimately is coming.

I think it has to do with the little details that you don't pay attention to the first time that are so well done in a series like this that add such depth. Some series might have a great main story but all the supporting storylines and details are kind of weak and so you don't really get anything new from watching it again.

I think Mad Men or Sopranos is next on my rewatch list.

_________________
“A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.”

― Winston S. Churchill


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:35 pm
Posts: 2187
Location: Lindenhurst
pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Yep...after my re-watch, this is easily the best series ever.

Sopranos was great, but they had a lot of dead space episodes that made no sense. BB was brilliant start to finish.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:10 pm
Posts: 5797
Finally started season for today. 4 episodes in, and it's heating up. Jesse and Walt beefing with Gus is good. Not a huge Jesse fan, but it's been fun.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:10 pm
Posts: 5797
Finally wrapped up season 4. I think it was the best season so far. Really enjoyed the Gus character. I could do without Walter Jr., his voice irritates the shit out of me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 10571
pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Yeah , Walt Jr is annoying as hell..so is Skylar .

_________________
The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
Laurence Holmes is a fucking weirdo, a nerd in denial, and a wannabe. Not a very good radio host either.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:13 pm
Posts: 12041
pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
And Skylar is 100% necessary.

_________________
-- source


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:10 pm
Posts: 5797
Finally wrapped up the series today. Not sure how I feel about the ending. Was pretty surprised with the Hank killing. Was really rooting for Walt Jr. or Skyler to get smoked. Jesse was a little bitch. Was entertaining how Walt went from a scared pussy, to a ruthless bad ass.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:26 am 
Offline
1000 CLUB
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:17 pm
Posts: 50762
Location: Earth
pizza_Place: Mendy's
We have just started the final season of this. What a show.

_________________
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Actually, the Cubs swept the Mets last season.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:28 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:00 am
Posts: 31381
Location: Chicago Heights
pizza_Place: Aurelio's
redskingreg wrote:
And Skylar is 100% necessary.


Not really. Without Skylar Walt never starts cooking. He just crawls into a corner and dies.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you said "unnecessary.

_________________
They can't hang up on me here!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:07 pm
Posts: 3311
When does "Better Call Saul" start up again?

_________________
Proud to be UNVERIFIED.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:35 pm
Posts: 11439
Location: The 19th Hole
pizza_Place: Kaisers
walkrman5 wrote:
When does "Better Call Saul" start up again?


All I have heard is early 2016.

_________________
Flew too close to the sun on wings of pastrami


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:07 pm
Posts: 3311
T-Bone wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:
When does "Better Call Saul" start up again?


All I have heard is early 2016.



Thanks! Haven't heard, and looking forward to seeing where the show "goes".

_________________
Proud to be UNVERIFIED.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 64520
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Northside_Dan wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
schmitty1121 wrote:
Had never seen this series. I'm half way through season 3. Seems like each season the show gets better and better.


The best is yet to come.


So jealous. Can never go back to the first time watching these all time great shows. Enjoy the ride Schmitty.



I just did a complete rewatch a couple months ago and it was still great. I may just do it again. This is probably my favorite show ever.

I did the same thing with The Wire when it came out in HD. Also, as Milt Rosenberg would say, eminently rewatchable. It truly is the hallmark of a great series how you can just go back and watch it again and still be riveted despite knowing what ultimately is coming.

I think it has to do with the little details that you don't pay attention to the first time that are so well done in a series like this that add such depth. Some series might have a great main story but all the supporting storylines and details are kind of weak and so you don't really get anything new from watching it again.

I think Mad Men or Sopranos is next on my rewatch list.

I would suggest The Wire was better on the second watch. You really cant understand who everyone is on the first one.

I think I might rewatch Sopranos. Anything with a huge cast like that is usually re-watchable if only for the reason stated above.

Game of Thrones is probably very re-watchable too.


Gus was the best character on BB

_________________
And I'm insensitive, and I lack empathy
He looked at me and said, "Your potential is bittersweet"
I looked at him and said, "Every nickel is mines to keep"
He looked at me and said, "Know the truth, it'll set you free"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:13 pm
Posts: 12041
pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
I just started S4 of a rewatch of the Sopranos. It's even better the second time around.

_________________
-- source


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:33 am
Posts: 3909
Location: Limbo
pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
rogers park bryan wrote:
Gus was the best character on BB


I gotta go with Mike.

It always seemed like he saw what we all saw.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 64520
Matches Malone wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Gus was the best character on BB


I gotta go with Mike.

It always seemed like he saw what we all saw.

Image

_________________
And I'm insensitive, and I lack empathy
He looked at me and said, "Your potential is bittersweet"
I looked at him and said, "Every nickel is mines to keep"
He looked at me and said, "Know the truth, it'll set you free"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 9:33 pm
Posts: 16450
Location: Chicago, Illinois
pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Matches Malone wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Gus was the best character on BB


I gotta go with Mike.

It always seemed like he saw what we all saw.


I'll go with Walt.

_________________
CSFMB 2014 Nascar Pick 'em Champion

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 64520
Scorehead wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Gus was the best character on BB


I gotta go with Mike.

It always seemed like he saw what we all saw.


I'll go with Walt.

Frank Sobotka rip off

_________________
And I'm insensitive, and I lack empathy
He looked at me and said, "Your potential is bittersweet"
I looked at him and said, "Every nickel is mines to keep"
He looked at me and said, "Know the truth, it'll set you free"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Breaking Bad
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:54 pm
Posts: 11645
Location: FEMA (Fun) Camp VIP list
pizza_Place: go find your nick in the new starwars!
i think out of all the tv shows i've seen the show with the most rewatchability value was the vintage 1960s UK prisoner. that's one hell of a show, definitely not to be confused with the AMC / jesus-caviezel remake.

_________________
Beardown: unlikely voice of reason wrote:
The fact that people feel just as comfortable harassing sports media women as they do men means that Julie is treated as an equal.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group