Chicago Sports Fan Message Board

All Information is alleged and 100% Unreliable
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 766 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 26  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 64520
Kirkwood wrote:
I just struggle to understand what's the issue with being excited for these prospects. Theo has tanked the team to the past 3 years to accrue minor leaguers. They better be kick ass. Our success is dependent on these guys.

I don't buy that the Cubs will be FA players. Our stingy owner is too cheap to pay for extra guys to push a tarp for goodness sakes.

Agree with all of this.

_________________
And I'm insensitive, and I lack empathy
He looked at me and said, "Your potential is bittersweet"
I looked at him and said, "Every nickel is mines to keep"
He looked at me and said, "Know the truth, it'll set you free"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 64520
good dolphin wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
8675309 wrote:
In 67 pro games, Schwarber has batted .354/.444/.671 with 18 home runs and 52 RBIs.


Average prospect.


The best from the class are already in AAA

This smacks of desperation on your part

_________________
And I'm insensitive, and I lack empathy
He looked at me and said, "Your potential is bittersweet"
I looked at him and said, "Every nickel is mines to keep"
He looked at me and said, "Know the truth, it'll set you free"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:15 pm
Posts: 30108
Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Player of the Week in 3 different leagues over 3 months. Average progression.

Quote:
Kyle Schwarber earned Player of the Week honors for the third time this season and for the third different league after putting together a huge week for the Daytona Cubs. Schwarber was named Florida State League Offensive Player of the Week on Monday afternoon.

Kyle Schwarber extended his hitting streak to 12 games during a week in which he hit home runs in five straight games. And Schwarber capped his run of longballs with two on Sunday to give him six homers in five games. Schwarber was 15-for-30 in eight games (.500/.529/1.333) and 11 of Schwarber’s 15 hits went for extra bases, four doubles and seven home runs for a 1.863 OPS. Schwarber walked three times, struck out four times and even swiped a base.

Kyle Schwarber has the second best slugging percentage in the minors (.671), behind only Kris Bryant.
Kyle Schwarber was the Northwest League Player of the Week for June 13-22 and the Midwest League Offensive Player of the Week for June 23-29.


Kyle Schwarber

Kyle Schwarber was not only named Florida State League Offensive Player of the Week on Monday, but he was also named MLB Pipeline’s Hitting Prospect of the Week.

PrintIn eight games, Kyle Schwarber was 15-for-30 with four doubles, seven home runs, eight runs scored and 13 RBI (.500/.529/1.333). Schwarber had a 1.863 OPS for the week.

_________________
“A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.”

― Winston S. Churchill


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:29 am
Posts: 8110
Location: South Elgin
pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Theo just said they are going to work him behind the plate in the instructional league. Was really giddy talking about Kyle in general.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:11 pm
Posts: 33762
Bucky Chris wrote:
Theo just said they are going to work him behind the plate in the instructional league. Was really giddy talking about Kyle in general.

yeah you could tell they are planning on doing everything possible to keep him behind the plate.

_________________
"He is a loathsome, offensive brute
--yet I can't look away."


Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Sox fan is just a negative douchebag


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:02 pm
Posts: 7568
pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
RFDC wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:
Theo just said they are going to work him behind the plate in the instructional league. Was really giddy talking about Kyle in general.

yeah you could tell they are planning on doing everything possible to keep him behind the plate.


If he can manage to be a below average catcher who can, at least, call a game, the Cubs would take it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:22 am
Posts: 11921
pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
rogers park bryan wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
I just struggle to understand what's the issue with being excited for these prospects. Theo has tanked the team to the past 3 years to accrue minor leaguers. They better be kick ass. Our success is dependent on these guys.

I don't buy that the Cubs will be FA players. Our stingy owner is too cheap to pay for extra guys to push a tarp for goodness sakes.

Agree with all of this.

Kirkwood, your above comments should speak for all Cubs fans. That's a good way to sum this whole thing up. The major potholes will be if the prospects fail, because I don't think Ricketts will spend like L.A. or New York.

_________________
Ба́бушка гада́ла, да на́двое сказа́ла—то ли до́ждик, то ли снег, то ли бу́дет, то ли нет.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:29 am
Posts: 8110
Location: South Elgin
pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
City of Fools wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
I just struggle to understand what's the issue with being excited for these prospects. Theo has tanked the team to the past 3 years to accrue minor leaguers. They better be kick ass. Our success is dependent on these guys.

I don't buy that the Cubs will be FA players. Our stingy owner is too cheap to pay for extra guys to push a tarp for goodness sakes.

Agree with all of this.

Kirkwood, your above comments should speak for all Cubs fans. That's a good way to sum this whole thing up. The major potholes will be if the prospects fail, because I don't think Ricketts will spend like L.A. or New York.


Theo has said they are going to start spending more, even talked about it on the score today. The Tanaka money was tabled, so they have that to spend. And he also mentioned his excitement over the TV money. I think all signs point to them starting to spend in the off-season.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:02 pm
Posts: 7568
pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Bucky Chris wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
I just struggle to understand what's the issue with being excited for these prospects. Theo has tanked the team to the past 3 years to accrue minor leaguers. They better be kick ass. Our success is dependent on these guys.

I don't buy that the Cubs will be FA players. Our stingy owner is too cheap to pay for extra guys to push a tarp for goodness sakes.

Agree with all of this.

Kirkwood, your above comments should speak for all Cubs fans. That's a good way to sum this whole thing up. The major potholes will be if the prospects fail, because I don't think Ricketts will spend like L.A. or New York.


Theo has said they are going to start spending more, even talked about it on the score today. The Tanaka money was tabled, so they have that to spend. And he also mentioned his excitement over the TV money. I think all signs point to them starting to spend in the off-season.


The payroll next season is like $40M. They have plenty of money to spend if they want to.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:16 am
Posts: 13180
Location: Crown Point, IN
pizza_Place: Aurelios
I think it's safe to pencil them in for the next 3 WS titles...

_________________
drinky wrote:
If you hate Laurence, then don't listen - don't comment. When he co-hosts the B&B show, take that day off ... listen to an old podcast of a Bernstein solo show and jerk off all day.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:29 am
Posts: 8110
Location: South Elgin
pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Hank Scorpio wrote:
I think it's safe to pencil them in for the next 3 WS titles...


Bad joke.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:35 pm
Posts: 44202
Bucky Chris wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
I just struggle to understand what's the issue with being excited for these prospects. Theo has tanked the team to the past 3 years to accrue minor leaguers. They better be kick ass. Our success is dependent on these guys.

I don't buy that the Cubs will be FA players. Our stingy owner is too cheap to pay for extra guys to push a tarp for goodness sakes.

Agree with all of this.

Kirkwood, your above comments should speak for all Cubs fans. That's a good way to sum this whole thing up. The major potholes will be if the prospects fail, because I don't think Ricketts will spend like L.A. or New York.


Theo has said they are going to start spending more, even talked about it on the score today. The Tanaka money was tabled, so they have that to spend. And he also mentioned his excitement over the TV money. I think all signs point to them starting to spend in the off-season.


and what will he spend it on? The same things Cub fans bitched at Hendry for hiring. Epstein said it himself that he would have to turn his head and swallow at some FA contracts we will see in the future.

_________________
An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never existed- Thomas Jefferson in reference to the CSFMB


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:56 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:00 am
Posts: 31381
Location: Chicago Heights
pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:
and what will he spend it on? The same things Cub fans bitched at Hendry for hiring. Epstein said it himself that he would have to turn his head and swallow at some FA contracts we will see in the future.


I'm not saying the Cubs won't get better (they almost certainly will) or that they don't have three Hall of Famers in the minors right now. I don't know. But I do think it's funny that people have just swallowed this idea that it's so simple. You just lose like crazy for a few years, stockpile draft picks, and Voila! You're playing in October every year! As if there haven't been many teams that have tried that and failed.

_________________
They can't hang up on me here!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:35 pm
Posts: 44202
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
and what will he spend it on? The same things Cub fans bitched at Hendry for hiring. Epstein said it himself that he would have to turn his head and swallow at some FA contracts we will see in the future.


I'm not saying the Cubs won't get better (they almost certainly will) or that they don't have three Hall of Famers in the minors right now. I don't know. But I do think it's funny that people have just swallowed this idea that it's so simple. You just lose like crazy for a few years, stockpile draft picks, and Voila! You're playing in October every year! As if there haven't been many teams that have tried that and failed.


It's not a stretch to say they won't continue to be a 100 loss team.

It offends me to have grand proclamations from people who have made no first hand observations of the players about whom they are speaking. Dan Bernstein has not seen anything but Soler's MLB AB and yet we hear sophisticated conclusions from him about the player. This from a guy, and group in the media, that is paid to be skeptical. The media is supposed to be the watchdogs who keep the scoundrels honest...but he is just and entertainer, not a journalist...until Roger Goodell issues a letter.

_________________
An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never existed- Thomas Jefferson in reference to the CSFMB


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:43 pm
Posts: 10660
pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Quote:
Because I am a prospect geek with poor social skills, one of the things I have always found fascinating when talking to people who also like prospects and/or work in the industry is the idea of building a farm system. If you had your chance to build a farm system from scratch, which guys would you want to become the staples of that system?

So, instead of talking about it, I decided to do it. Well not literally; none of these prospects will end up leaving his organization, as I don’t have that kind of power. Instead, I polled five members of the industry—two front-office members and three scouts who have seen these players multiple times—if they could start their franchise with any player at each position, who would it be? I then asked them to give me a “prospect MVP ballot” which ranks their top five at the position, and they graciously accepted the challenge. Five points were awarded to the winner, four points for second place, etc.

First up, catcher. With the recent promotions of Blake Swihart and Austin Hedges to the big leagues, this isn’t exactly a stacked position, but the cupboard isn’t empty.

Here’s who the industry selected to be their backstops of the future.

AL front-office member: Reese McGuire, C, Pittsburgh Pirates

Why: “Well, the big thing for me is that I’m sure he’s going to catch, and to me, that’s sort of invaluable. So many players get moved off the position, and very few of them can actually justify a move to a corner infield or outfield position—especially when you consider that an overwhelming majority of them seem to all move to first base. A guy like [Chicago Cubs prospect Kyle] Schwarber could probably justify a move to another position because of the offensive upside, but that’s really it.

“McGuire doesn’t have anywhere near Schwarber’s upside, but he’s a special defender. He could come up and hold his own defensively right now; I don’t know how many teenagers you could ever say that about. The hit tool has a chance to be average, and the power tool could get to fringe average as he gets bigger. If there’s one catching prospect I could project to make an impact at the big-league level, it would be McGuire.”

His top five: 1. McGuire, 2. Schwarber 3. Justin O’Conner, Tampa Bay Rays 4. Jorge Alfaro, Texas Rangers 5. Max Pentecost, Toronto Blue Jays

NL West scout: Kyle Schwarber, C, Chicago Cubs

Why: “He’s easily the best offensive backstop prospect right now, and he may be the best offensive catching prospect I’ve seen since Mike Zunino. The power tool is plus-plus, the hit tool is plus and he’s gonna get on base.

“Obviously, the big question is whether or not he can stay behind the plate, but look, if teams are going to give guys like Jesus Montero a chance to play catcher, the Cubs would be foolish to not give Schwarber a shot. The good news is, he’s actually progressing there and he looks like he’s getting more athletic and less stiff back there. It wouldn’t surprise me if he was a perennial All-Star behind the plate; he’s a really good player.”

His top five: 1. Schwarber 2. O’Conner 3. McGuire 4. Tom Murphy, Colorado Rockies 5. Francisco Mejia, C, Cleveland

AL Central scout: Schwarber

Why: “I was just as stunned as everyone else when the Cubs took Schwarber as high as they did, I thought he’d go in the top 15 or so, but no way did I think he belonged in the top five. Turns out they knew what they were doing. The ball just explodes off of his bat, and I’ve been really impressed with his ability to drive the ball the opposite way.

“When you have those kind of offensive chops, you don’t need to be Yadier Molina with the glove, though everyone tells me he’s a much better receiver than people expected him to be out of Indiana. I just watch that swing and think that guy has a chance to be a player anywhere, but catcher? Forget about it.”

His top five: 1. Schwarber 2. McGuire 3. Alfaro 4. Murphy 5. Pentecost

AL East scout: Jorge Alfaro, C, Texas Rangers

“I’m guessing I’m going to be in the minority here, but I would take Alfaro, as I’m just not ready to give up on his talent yet. He’s got two 80 tools in his raw power and his arm, and there’s no catching prospect in baseball who can say that they have two 80 tools. Heck, there aren’t many players period who can say they have one 80 tool, and even a smaller amount who have two. Of course, that power is useless if the approach doesn’t improve, but he’s not even 22, lots of guys have seen the approach improve at that age. There are better defenders, but the athleticism is fine, and again, the arm strength is fantastic. If I was going safe I’d go McGuire, but I’ll take the risk and say Alfaro becomes an above-average catcher, maybe even an All-Star.”

His top five: 1. Alfaro 2. McGuire 3. Schwarber 4. O’Conner 5. Sanchez

NL front-office member: Kyle Schwarber

“The approach is just so advanced. He recognizes pitches at an elite level, and in the dozens of at-bats I’ve seen, I’ve never come away saying ‘that was a wasted at-bat.’ I think you’re looking a player who can hit .300 and hit 20-25 homers, and get on base in that .340 to .360 range. If I had one concern offensively, it’s whether or not he’ll be a platoon guy, but that’s a question I have in my head about a lot of left-handed hitters.

“Defensively there’s a lot of work to be done, and maybe he ends up being a guy who only ends up catching 40-50 games a year, but those 40-50 games could be extremely valuable. The Cubs have another good one.”

His top five: 1. Schwarber 2. O’Conner 3. McGuire 4. Alfaro 5. Murphy

Points: Schwarber 22, McGuire 19, O'Conner 13, Alfaro 12, Murphy 5, Pentecost 2, Mejia 1, Sanchez 1

Winner: Schwarber

In addition to the scouts, I asked some members of the prospect team which catching prospect they’d start a franchise with.

Craig Goldstein: I'll take Reese McGuire. Premium defense, surviving in the Florida State League as a 20-year-old. I like that he has a contact-oriented approach right now, and think that as he develops (even if it comes later than anticipated, as so happens with catchers), some of those singles turn into doubles and some of those doubles turn into homers. It's not an extreme profile offensively, but low-end double-digit homers seems feasible, along with a .270-type average. Given his defense, which is built on great footwork, I think that's a first-division catcher. There's less ceiling here than some other obvious names, but if the realistic floor is an everyday player and a realistic ceiling is a role 55, then it's something I'm interested in.

I'll also note that I'm not sure how to gauge a guy like Schwarber in this discussion. He's a catcher now, and I've heard some positive reports on his ability to play there—at least some—from those outside the organization. That said, I'm not sure how to value his defense if he's going to be protected by only catching part-time, etc.

Mauricio Rubio: I think it's McGuire because he brings a bat/glove combination that's difficult to find in the minors. I think Alfaro still deserves some love, but I don't really like how the skills behind the plate haven't matured to this point. I think Carson Kelly on the Cardinals deserves some attention here, he's got a good arm and if the glove can get to a 55 level he's going to be a good one. I do like Deivi Grullon's defense quite a bit, and I'm eager to check in on his progress at the end of the year.

I do knock Schwarber down a few pegs as a catcher because his defense is just okay. I know there are people who are convinced he can catch out there, but I'm still not quite buying in. He's a hard worker and I think he can be a part-time guy, but for me that's a different type of archetype. In my mind, if he's a part-time guy, he's an Evan Gattis type, and I don't think anyone outside of fantasy circles (who certainly have the right mindset to do this) are ranking Gattis highly as a catcher only.

Tucker Blair: I’d go with Jorge Alfaro. He needs refinement in a few areas, but the raw tools are some of the best in the minors. His aggression is a double-edged sword, but I like the freight train mentality on the basepaths and behind the plate. He's getting better and more consistent as a catcher. The arm is a true weapon and I've had pop times in the 1.80 range. The approach will hopefully catch up with the raw tools, but there's potential for an everyday guy with above-average power—if he can make enough contact.

Mark Anderson: Given my propensity to gravitate toward toolsy, higher-impact players, I lean toward Jorge Alfaro here. I acknowledge the considerable risk in his game, but what he can provide, even without reaching his immense ceiling, brings substantial value to a big-league club. He's likely to be a low-average, low-OBP hitter with some pop and speed; and as the defense continues to mature, the overall package behind the dish will become more appealing than just impressive raw arm strength. Given that the average major-league catcher is hitting around .230/.300/.360 this year, Alfaro doesn't have to reach his ceiling to eclipse that bar and provide punch to a big-league club as their everyday backstop. Combine that with the chance he does approach his ceiling, and there's no way I can pass on Alfaro given the relatively weak crop of catchers still in the minor leagues.

Who I’d go with: This is a tough one. On one hand, I think Schwarber is clearly the best offensive backstop prospect in baseball, there are two above-average offensive tools here, and no other minor-league catcher—Alfaro included—has that kind of offensive potential.

On the other hand, as good as he is offensively, the defensive skills just aren’t there for me. The hands are only average, as is the arm strength, and the footwork is worlds away. Compare that to a guy like McGuire who has a cannon for an arm and is as advanced defensively as any teenage catching prospect I’ve seen, and it’s easy to understand why many prefer McGuire.

And yet, I think I still have to go Schwarber, for all the reasons the scouts listed above. Do I think he’s going to catch 120 games a year? No, but I don’t think he has to. The bat can play anywhere, and if you get a third to a half of those games at catcher, I think you get something that will be a four-win player at the big-league level.


I'm excited.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:00 pm
Posts: 19254
Kirkwood wrote:
Quote:
Because I am a prospect geek with poor social skills, one of the things I have always found fascinating when talking to people who also like prospects and/or work in the industry is the idea of building a farm system. If you had your chance to build a farm system from scratch, which guys would you want to become the staples of that system?

So, instead of talking about it, I decided to do it. Well not literally; none of these prospects will end up leaving his organization, as I don’t have that kind of power. Instead, I polled five members of the industry—two front-office members and three scouts who have seen these players multiple times—if they could start their franchise with any player at each position, who would it be? I then asked them to give me a “prospect MVP ballot” which ranks their top five at the position, and they graciously accepted the challenge. Five points were awarded to the winner, four points for second place, etc.

First up, catcher. With the recent promotions of Blake Swihart and Austin Hedges to the big leagues, this isn’t exactly a stacked position, but the cupboard isn’t empty.

Here’s who the industry selected to be their backstops of the future.

AL front-office member: Reese McGuire, C, Pittsburgh Pirates

Why: “Well, the big thing for me is that I’m sure he’s going to catch, and to me, that’s sort of invaluable. So many players get moved off the position, and very few of them can actually justify a move to a corner infield or outfield position—especially when you consider that an overwhelming majority of them seem to all move to first base. A guy like [Chicago Cubs prospect Kyle] Schwarber could probably justify a move to another position because of the offensive upside, but that’s really it.

“McGuire doesn’t have anywhere near Schwarber’s upside, but he’s a special defender. He could come up and hold his own defensively right now; I don’t know how many teenagers you could ever say that about. The hit tool has a chance to be average, and the power tool could get to fringe average as he gets bigger. If there’s one catching prospect I could project to make an impact at the big-league level, it would be McGuire.”

His top five: 1. McGuire, 2. Schwarber 3. Justin O’Conner, Tampa Bay Rays 4. Jorge Alfaro, Texas Rangers 5. Max Pentecost, Toronto Blue Jays

NL West scout: Kyle Schwarber, C, Chicago Cubs

Why: “He’s easily the best offensive backstop prospect right now, and he may be the best offensive catching prospect I’ve seen since Mike Zunino. The power tool is plus-plus, the hit tool is plus and he’s gonna get on base.

“Obviously, the big question is whether or not he can stay behind the plate, but look, if teams are going to give guys like Jesus Montero a chance to play catcher, the Cubs would be foolish to not give Schwarber a shot. The good news is, he’s actually progressing there and he looks like he’s getting more athletic and less stiff back there. It wouldn’t surprise me if he was a perennial All-Star behind the plate; he’s a really good player.”

His top five: 1. Schwarber 2. O’Conner 3. McGuire 4. Tom Murphy, Colorado Rockies 5. Francisco Mejia, C, Cleveland

AL Central scout: Schwarber

Why: “I was just as stunned as everyone else when the Cubs took Schwarber as high as they did, I thought he’d go in the top 15 or so, but no way did I think he belonged in the top five. Turns out they knew what they were doing. The ball just explodes off of his bat, and I’ve been really impressed with his ability to drive the ball the opposite way.

“When you have those kind of offensive chops, you don’t need to be Yadier Molina with the glove, though everyone tells me he’s a much better receiver than people expected him to be out of Indiana. I just watch that swing and think that guy has a chance to be a player anywhere, but catcher? Forget about it.”

His top five: 1. Schwarber 2. McGuire 3. Alfaro 4. Murphy 5. Pentecost

AL East scout: Jorge Alfaro, C, Texas Rangers

“I’m guessing I’m going to be in the minority here, but I would take Alfaro, as I’m just not ready to give up on his talent yet. He’s got two 80 tools in his raw power and his arm, and there’s no catching prospect in baseball who can say that they have two 80 tools. Heck, there aren’t many players period who can say they have one 80 tool, and even a smaller amount who have two. Of course, that power is useless if the approach doesn’t improve, but he’s not even 22, lots of guys have seen the approach improve at that age. There are better defenders, but the athleticism is fine, and again, the arm strength is fantastic. If I was going safe I’d go McGuire, but I’ll take the risk and say Alfaro becomes an above-average catcher, maybe even an All-Star.”

His top five: 1. Alfaro 2. McGuire 3. Schwarber 4. O’Conner 5. Sanchez

NL front-office member: Kyle Schwarber

“The approach is just so advanced. He recognizes pitches at an elite level, and in the dozens of at-bats I’ve seen, I’ve never come away saying ‘that was a wasted at-bat.’ I think you’re looking a player who can hit .300 and hit 20-25 homers, and get on base in that .340 to .360 range. If I had one concern offensively, it’s whether or not he’ll be a platoon guy, but that’s a question I have in my head about a lot of left-handed hitters.

“Defensively there’s a lot of work to be done, and maybe he ends up being a guy who only ends up catching 40-50 games a year, but those 40-50 games could be extremely valuable. The Cubs have another good one.”

His top five: 1. Schwarber 2. O’Conner 3. McGuire 4. Alfaro 5. Murphy

Points: Schwarber 22, McGuire 19, O'Conner 13, Alfaro 12, Murphy 5, Pentecost 2, Mejia 1, Sanchez 1

Winner: Schwarber

In addition to the scouts, I asked some members of the prospect team which catching prospect they’d start a franchise with.

Craig Goldstein: I'll take Reese McGuire. Premium defense, surviving in the Florida State League as a 20-year-old. I like that he has a contact-oriented approach right now, and think that as he develops (even if it comes later than anticipated, as so happens with catchers), some of those singles turn into doubles and some of those doubles turn into homers. It's not an extreme profile offensively, but low-end double-digit homers seems feasible, along with a .270-type average. Given his defense, which is built on great footwork, I think that's a first-division catcher. There's less ceiling here than some other obvious names, but if the realistic floor is an everyday player and a realistic ceiling is a role 55, then it's something I'm interested in.

I'll also note that I'm not sure how to gauge a guy like Schwarber in this discussion. He's a catcher now, and I've heard some positive reports on his ability to play there—at least some—from those outside the organization. That said, I'm not sure how to value his defense if he's going to be protected by only catching part-time, etc.

Mauricio Rubio: I think it's McGuire because he brings a bat/glove combination that's difficult to find in the minors. I think Alfaro still deserves some love, but I don't really like how the skills behind the plate haven't matured to this point. I think Carson Kelly on the Cardinals deserves some attention here, he's got a good arm and if the glove can get to a 55 level he's going to be a good one. I do like Deivi Grullon's defense quite a bit, and I'm eager to check in on his progress at the end of the year.

I do knock Schwarber down a few pegs as a catcher because his defense is just okay. I know there are people who are convinced he can catch out there, but I'm still not quite buying in. He's a hard worker and I think he can be a part-time guy, but for me that's a different type of archetype. In my mind, if he's a part-time guy, he's an Evan Gattis type, and I don't think anyone outside of fantasy circles (who certainly have the right mindset to do this) are ranking Gattis highly as a catcher only.

Tucker Blair: I’d go with Jorge Alfaro. He needs refinement in a few areas, but the raw tools are some of the best in the minors. His aggression is a double-edged sword, but I like the freight train mentality on the basepaths and behind the plate. He's getting better and more consistent as a catcher. The arm is a true weapon and I've had pop times in the 1.80 range. The approach will hopefully catch up with the raw tools, but there's potential for an everyday guy with above-average power—if he can make enough contact.

Mark Anderson: Given my propensity to gravitate toward toolsy, higher-impact players, I lean toward Jorge Alfaro here. I acknowledge the considerable risk in his game, but what he can provide, even without reaching his immense ceiling, brings substantial value to a big-league club. He's likely to be a low-average, low-OBP hitter with some pop and speed; and as the defense continues to mature, the overall package behind the dish will become more appealing than just impressive raw arm strength. Given that the average major-league catcher is hitting around .230/.300/.360 this year, Alfaro doesn't have to reach his ceiling to eclipse that bar and provide punch to a big-league club as their everyday backstop. Combine that with the chance he does approach his ceiling, and there's no way I can pass on Alfaro given the relatively weak crop of catchers still in the minor leagues.

Who I’d go with: This is a tough one. On one hand, I think Schwarber is clearly the best offensive backstop prospect in baseball, there are two above-average offensive tools here, and no other minor-league catcher—Alfaro included—has that kind of offensive potential.

On the other hand, as good as he is offensively, the defensive skills just aren’t there for me. The hands are only average, as is the arm strength, and the footwork is worlds away. Compare that to a guy like McGuire who has a cannon for an arm and is as advanced defensively as any teenage catching prospect I’ve seen, and it’s easy to understand why many prefer McGuire.

And yet, I think I still have to go Schwarber, for all the reasons the scouts listed above. Do I think he’s going to catch 120 games a year? No, but I don’t think he has to. The bat can play anywhere, and if you get a third to a half of those games at catcher, I think you get something that will be a four-win player at the big-league level.


I'm excited.

Did Sini write this?

_________________
spmack wrote:
IMU wrote:
Disagree.

Nas, spmack and Douchebag took turns parading me around the streets of Chicago on their shoulders last weekend.

We were definitely taking turns doing something.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:15 pm
Posts: 30108
Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Hit his 12th HR today.

2 HRs tonight. OPS over 1.100.

_________________
“A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.”

― Winston S. Churchill


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:08 pm
Posts: 5766
Location: Crown Point, IN
pizza_Place: Beggars
A year later, this guy looks like a stud hitter for sure although still not sure he will be a competent C in the big leagues and if he has to go to LF, will he be a liability there??

I haven't read much as to his ability to call a game, frame pitches, etc. but clearly they got it right with his bat. Still, if they had a choice between him and Rodon, 10 to 1 they'd have taken Rodon.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:54 am
Posts: 10765
pizza_Place: A few...
I do not want Schwarber traded. Why can't he stay in the minors for a few years and work on catching? What's the rush?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:35 pm
Posts: 44202
cpguy wrote:
A year later, this guy looks like a stud hitter for sure although still not sure he will be a competent C in the big leagues and if he has to go to LF, will he be a liability there??

I haven't read much as to his ability to call a game, frame pitches, etc. but clearly they got it right with his bat. Still, if they had a choice between him and Rodon, 10 to 1 they'd have taken Rodon.


I don't know so I am asking with sincerity, how is that high school catcher who was supposed to be the best high school bat in the draft doing?

_________________
An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never existed- Thomas Jefferson in reference to the CSFMB


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:19 am
Posts: 15046
pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
the guy I liked, had Rodon not fallen, was Alex Jackson. Dude is horrible in A ball. hitting .147.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:05 am
Posts: 13565
Location: Cultural Mecca
pizza_Place: Marino's in Wood Dale / Gino's East
Peoria Matt wrote:
I do not want Schwarber traded. Why can't he stay in the minors for a few years and work on catching? What's the rush?

They don't even see him ever being at least average at catcher. Besides, then you'd only get his bat in the lineup five or six days a week?

Haven't Cubs fans seen how much a good catcher like Montero can help? You don't just stick a guy there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:19 am
Posts: 15046
pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
how bout Danks for Schwarber?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:43 pm
Posts: 10660
pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
.322/.453/.636

BB: 19.9%
K: 21.5%
HR: 12


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:42 pm
Posts: 3680
Location: Land of Lincoln
pizza_Place: Casey's General Store, Dixon, IL
Quote:
Why: “He’s easily the best offensive backstop prospect right now, and he may be the best offensive catching prospect I’ve seen since Mike Zunino. The power tool is plus-plus, the hit tool is plus and he’s gonna get on base.


i like what schwarber is doing as much as the next guy, but comparing favorably to mike zunino offensively isn't exactly making me feel like he is a "can't-miss".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:42 pm
Posts: 1638
Location: Hinsdale
pizza_Place: Lugi's of Hong Kong
Hatchetman wrote:
how bout Danks for Schwarber?



Image

_________________
Kenny Williams fell for the banana in the tailpipe


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:54 pm
Posts: 11645
Location: FEMA (Fun) Camp VIP list
pizza_Place: go find your nick in the new starwars!
man of few opinions' quote scout/guy wrote:
he may be the best offensive catching prospect I’ve seen since Mike Zunino.


perhaps it's not a good idea to use mike zunino here because didn't the mariners just trade for wellington castillo to at-the-very-least platoon with zunino?

Mike Zunino ::2015 Stats :: SEA GP: 44 AB: 138 AVG: .188 HR: 7 RBI: 15 SB: 0 CS: 1 R: 12 H: 26 2B: 6 3B: 0 OBP: .247 SLG: .384 PS: .631 BB: 8 SO: 56 BB: 8 SO: 56 H: 26 HR: 7 R: 12 WAR: 1.0

so hey he's a ~3 WAR player? you could do worse but that .188 and wellington castillo thing makes me a bit earpy.

that said, ALL HAIL BABE FUCKING RUTH! #WEAREGOOD

_________________
Beardown: unlikely voice of reason wrote:
The fact that people feel just as comfortable harassing sports media women as they do men means that Julie is treated as an equal.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:40 am
Posts: 1432
Location: Long Grove,IL
pizza_Place: Thin crust cheese extra cheese ....Pizza DOC
good dolphin wrote:
It's not a stretch to say they won't continue to be a 100 loss team.


Really...take off your Keyser/Frank/America/BRick tinted glasses... in order to finish with 100 losses they would have to go 36-78 ... only way that happens is if Lester, Arrieta, Hamel, Rizzo and Bryant all have seaosn ending injuries tonight.

if they play .500 that would put them at 83-79 which is realistic.

On the other hand your Boys need to go 58-54 also realistic to get to .500 but if 90 wins is the playoff number the WIN NOW crew needs to go 67- 45 and I hate to tell you that ain't happenin.

_________________
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I don't waste my time with the Cubs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:22 am
Posts: 11921
pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
THE INQUISITOR wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
It's not a stretch to say they won't continue to be a 100 loss team.


Really...take off your Keyser/Frank/America/BRick tinted glasses... in order to finish with 100 losses they would have to go 36-78 ... only way that happens is if Lester, Arrieta, Hamel, Rizzo and Bryant all have seaosn ending injuries tonight.

if they play .500 that would put them at 83-79 which is realistic.

On the other hand your Boys need to go 58-54 also realistic to get to .500 but if 90 wins is the playoff number the WIN NOW crew needs to go 67- 45 and I hate to tell you that ain't happenin.


you misread his statement.

_________________
Ба́бушка гада́ла, да на́двое сказа́ла—то ли до́ждик, то ли снег, то ли бу́дет, то ли нет.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:40 am
Posts: 1432
Location: Long Grove,IL
pizza_Place: Thin crust cheese extra cheese ....Pizza DOC
City of Fools wrote:
THE INQUISITOR wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
It's not a stretch to say they won't continue to be a 100 loss team.


Really...take off your Keyser/Frank/America/BRick tinted glasses... in order to finish with 100 losses they would have to go 36-78 ... only way that happens is if Lester, Arrieta, Hamel, Rizzo and Bryant all have seaosn ending injuries tonight.

if they play .500 that would put them at 83-79 which is realistic.

On the other hand your Boys need to go 58-54 also realistic to get to .500 but if 90 wins is the playoff number the WIN NOW crew needs to go 67- 45 and I hate to tell you that ain't happenin.


you misread his statement.


I read it... he uses Bernstein and "other" media as judging without seeing.... so the guys at BP, BA, MLB Pipeline and Law.... are they the other media who judge without seeing?

His first line said "It's not a stretch to say they won't continue to be a 100 loss team." he said it and that's just his usual dumb Sox fan trolling method..... he actually knows what's going on but like Keyser and the others he cannot face reality... but it's easier to make "cute" comments and innuendo... based on what he perceives NOT what he sees.... he does exactly what he condemns.

_________________
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I don't waste my time with the Cubs.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 766 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 26  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group